Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Speaker Cabinet Protection

  1. #1
    Inactive Member smtcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi:

    I have a question. If I apply polyurethane to the non-veneered areas of the speaker cabinet, is there a risk of affecting the veneered areas of the speaker cabinet? By doing this I hope to reduce the risk of moisture damage. As for the veneered portions I will occasionally apply a thin coat of lindseed oil. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member smtcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi:

    I forgot to mention that I have a pair of Altec Capri speakers.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member smtcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Jim. Maybe I'll use poly acrylic in place of polyurethane. I am concerned about the possibility that the adhesive holds the veneer in place may be affected by any solvents in the poly acrylic. I'll be applying it to non-veneered and exposed areas of the cabinet. My plan was to let the polyurethane or poly acrylic "soak" into the particle board. I'd thin it and apply successive coats until the area was "saturated". The Capri speakers I purchased are in good shape physically and cosmetically so there's no need to do a lot of work on it.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have been collecting and repairing/refinishing Altec cabinets whenever I can find them. I find that often they need joints and veneer clamped reglued. As for refinishing, gouges and corner dings can be *****d and painted and stained to match. After this I will give the cabs a pretty thorough sanding with 220 sandpaper and then apply a shellac coating (the shellac is a 1/3rd cut), and then apply a color stain on top of this. The shellac will seal the wood and you can control the stain (and its color) very carefully since it won't be soaking into the wood because of the shellac. After it dries I finish with 3 coats of poly acrylic (I'm partial to the semi-gloss these days) which provides very good UV and H2O protection. Much, much better than polyurathane IMHO.
    I've got a bunch of nice cabs now incuding Santanas, 872's, 891a's, model 19's, model 17's, Sonehenge 1 and Stonehenge 2's (the 1's came with a beautiful teak venner) and many others.

    Hillcraft did beatiful cabinetry.

    JIm Butler

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cybersedona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9th, 2011
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Speaker Cabinet Protection

    hi, heres a picture of a piece I just picked up, its in perfect condition: forums, I am still trying to find out more info, they are a hillcraft logo piece, very well made from what I can tell.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Speaker Cabinet Protection

    Fixed:

    100 0416

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Speaker Cabinet Protection

    It sure is some nice stuff.:2thumbsup:


    100 0423

    100 0411
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.